Monday, February 28, 2005

OTBN

Open That Bottle Night - Feb. 26th, 2005



This was my first year of observing "OTBN" partly due to a heightened interest in wine over the last 12-18 months. My wife & I received an excellent mixed case of smaller producers as a wedding present back in 1997. Of which the only bottle left is a 1994 Bethel Heights Pinot Noir. We decided within the first year of our marriage to save one bottle and it just so happened to be this one. Back then we were hardly oenophiles, rather neophytes when it came to wine. I contacted the winery last Fall and found out the Pinot was near peak and should be consumed within a couple of years. So, I thought that this year’s OTBN would be a great occasion. However I forgot to block our calendars and my wife made separate plans with some girlfriends for their monthly outing.

Determined to still observe OTBN, I moved on to Plan B - as a soloist. A little non-traditional, yes. But it’s the thought that counts, right? A couple of years ago I was in Germany for my MBA program and we stayed one night in Rothenburg. We arrived past 5 pm and the only local shop that was open was the Rothenburg wine shop. Several of my classmates and I went in and probably funded this couple’s summer holiday abroad. I picked up just a couple of Rieslings, one of which I opened, a 1998 Wollsteiner Olberg (from the Rheinhessen region), for OTBN. This trip to Germany was my fist trip abroad and was a capstone of sorts from my MBA program. Several of my classmates and I remain very close as it was an intense program and a sort of “boot-camp” bonding experience.





Anyway, the trip was fantastic and being of German heritage it was really special for me to see my ancestor’s homeland. The Riesling was a great reminder of one of my most memorable travel adventures. The wine itself was very nice. Great color, not too flabby with strong apple and hints of peach left on my palette. It’s not as sugary as I remember from other wines I drank while in German. Although, I’m sure the wine has had a chance to age and my palette today is more welcoming of different whites (i.e., over and beyond Chardonnay & Sauvignon Blanc) as it was back then. As I drank the wine and took in the nose, etc. I was reminded of all the different and wonderful meals of spatzle and schnitzel. I went on-line and pulled up my photo web site dedicated to the trip and went through the pictures remembering what a great time we all had and how much we learned about international business (it was an educational trip, after all). It was certainly better than slurping from a paper cup at a burger joint, a la Miles in “Sideways” (Note: The 1961 Cheval Blanc that Miles is saving for a special event is blended from Merlot and Cabernet Franc, the two grape varietals that Miles specifically downgrades during the movie)...


More info about OTBN can be found here.
Charlotte Observer 02/17/2004 Open bottle and uncork old memories


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home